1) This contest is open to all persons diving (scuba diving, free diving and snorkeling) using any kind of camera (compact camera, action camera, smart phone, professional camera, etc.) in Mauritian waters and it is for FREE although we would like to encourage participants to make a small donation to Mission Blue: https://mission-blue.networkforgood.com/ with the mention of “The Black River District Hope Spot Underwater Photo and Video Competition – Mauritius”.
2) Each participant can only participate once in each category.
3) All images (photographs and video) participating in the 2022 competition must be from 2016 or later and taken in Mauritian waters! This includes the islands of Mauritius, Rodrigues, Agaléga and St.Brandon. Older images will not be accepted.
4) Photos should be 1200 pixels at the longest side and can be maximum 5 MB. All photographs must be taken under water, except for over-under or split-shots. (photographs bigger than 5MB or with more than 1200 pixels at the longest side will automatically be disqualified and will be deleted from this page)
5) Videos should be 3 minutes or less, HD (16:9) 1080p (1920 x 1080) or 720p (1280 x 720) and if narrated: English or any language with English subtitles. At least 70% of the footage must be taken under water. (videos longer than 180 seconds will automatically be disqualified and will be deleted from this page)
6) There are no restrictions on image manipulations; cropping, removing objects, colour corrections, etc. are allowed.
7) Each participant is responsible for the content of his/her work and possesses all the rights to the use of the sounds and music. Any inappropriate content is strictly forbidden and will be removed without warning.
8) By entering this competition you allow the Black River District Hope Spot and the Black River District Hope Spot Underwater Photo and Video Competition to use and share your content online and social channels.
9) The winner will be chosen by our panel of judges. Their decision will be final. In case of an ex aequo the one who made a donation to Mission Blue (or the one who made the most generous donation if both made a donation) will be chosen over the other. The winner will be informed via e-mail and announced on this website and on the Black River District Hope Spot and the Black River District Hope Spot Underwater Photo and Video Competition Facebook pages.
10) This online competition is a yearly event starting on the 1st of January and ending on the 31th of December.
The winners of the "Cachalot d'Or 2022" awards will be announced on January 31st 2023.
due to the Covid-19 Corona virus pandemic the ending date and the announcement of the winners might be re-scheduled to a later date or the entire competition can be postponed to the next year. In this case all participants will be automatically transferred to next year’s competition.
We wish all participants the best of luck!